THE BENEFITS OF BECOMING A "WINES OF SOUTH AFRICA" (WOSA) MEMBER?
HOW DOES WOSA ADD VALUE TO THE INDUSTRY?
- WOSA's primary role is to build a positive image for South African wine. It is not a sales organisation, has no sales staff and takes no orders. Its job is to shine a positive light on South African wine at all times, no matter what is happening in the trading cycle.
- Not for profit organisation, owned by industry not government
- Funded by levies
- Operates internationally and not in South Africa
- Fulltime "office" in London (2 people), New York (1 person) and Hong Kong(1 person)
- Fulltime person dedicated to Africa (located in JHB)
- Contracts with agencies in:
Germany (Baden Baden)
- To contribute to the global success of the South African wine industry through building Brand South Africa
VISION FOR SOUTH AFRICAN WINE
South Africa is recognised worldwide as:
Producing premium quality, interesting and distinctive wines..
In the world's most beautiful, biodiverse winelands...
In an environmentally sensitive and ethically responsible manner.
Enhance the image and reputation of South African wines in key international markets.
- Assist with the development of new export markets.
- Assist with capacity building among exporters.
- Facilitate the development of SA wine tourism.
STRATEGY FOR 2015 TO 2017
Focus markets and supporting investment for the 3 years is based on:
- Future Sources of Growth - create awareness of Brand South Africa and encourage trial and drinking of South African Wines in order to grow exports in high potential markets. These markets are: USA, China, Africa (Angola, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria & Ghana)
- Protect the current source of volume in established selected markets in Europe (Germany, Netherlands & Sweden) & Canada, while growing value share.
Adding value externally by
- Building an image for and enhancing knowledge of the SA winelands
- Developing our USP - Our new platform of "Welcome to our World of Discovery" - a melting pot for diversity of people and places.
- Developing and distributing collateral
- Building relationships with journalists: Wine and Lifestyle
- Drive positive PR messages to create awareness and build our image in trade and social media
- Tasting: one-on-one; generic trade
- International Sommeliers Cup competition - building Brand Ambassadors
- Providing an information resource for consumers, trade, journalists and students
- Press releases
- On-line education
- In person
- Supporting companies to enter markets
- Generic stands at international shows for detailed information click on http://www.wosa.co.za/About-Us/WOSA-Events-Calendar/
- Generic tastings
- Importer database
- Marketing Newsletters with information on upcoming events
- Export enquiries - regular newsletter on trade enquiries
- Emerging markets
- Facilitating journalist & buyer visits
- Co-ordinate and schedule itineraries as per their requests
- Facilitate inward buying trips
- Call for wines eg. organic, fair trade for tastings
- Updates of the South African Wine Industry presented to visiting buyers & journalists
- Promoting causes in the industry
- Environmental Sustainability (PWI. SWSA, BWI Champions)
- Networking to improve wine industry visibility
- Great Wine Capitals
- Tourism - SA Tourism, CTRU, Wesgro and CTT
- SA Wine Routes Forum
- Presenting at international conferences
- Brands, DTI
- Running promotions in our targeted countries
- South Africa promotions at retail
- Consumer tastings and Consumer shows
- Sommelier Cup
ADDING VALUE INTERNALLY
- Improved systems
- Project managed and organised funding for Wine-on-Line
- Manage maintenance and refinements
Resources for producers' own marketing
- Promotional material - maps, videos, CD's, brochures
- Copyright free photographs
- Industry Information
- Recipe Book
- Winelands Map
Improving knowledge base of industry
- Online library
- Research - Markets Insights
- Country analyses
- How to Export - comprehensive documents
- Informing industry of trends: green/eco/packaging
Developing Black owned brands
- Financial assistance for marketing
- Market Access
Relationship with DTI
- Export Council
- Obtain funding for projects
Assisting new companies to market
The WOSA Media Room
- Here you can find photography of the South African wine lands that you may download and use, free of copyright,
- For non-commercial use only e.g. Websites, illustration of articles about South African wine and PowerPoint presentations.
- We have added to the media room articles in different languages and cape recipes. This can be used by any journalist or importer.